2021 Local Authorities Municipal Election

The next municipal election is Monday, October 18, 2021. 


Nomination Day: Friday, January 1, 2021 - Monday, September 20, 2021 

Nomination papers must be filed at the County Office between the hours of 9:00am and 12:00pm in presence of Returning Officer (by appointment only).  Complete the form in Appendix C and bring along with the necessary fees by noon September 20, 2021.  


Advanced Poll:

Wednesday, October 13, 2021                                Saturday, October 16, 2021

3:00pm - 8:00pm                                              10:00am - 2:00pm

Location: TBA                                                   Location: TBA


Election Day: Monday, October 18, 2021

10:00am - 8:00pm at the appropriate polling stations, which will be determined closer to Election Day.


Returning Officer:

Susan Aldrich




2021 Candidate Information

2021 Election Nomination Package

Appendix A - Bylaw 19-01 Council Code of Conduct Bylaw

Appendix A - LE 001 (37th Revision); Councillor Remuneration and Expenses

Appendix B - A Candidate's Guide: Running for Municipal Office in Alberta

Appendix C - FORM 4 - 2021 Nomination Paper and Candidate's Acceptance

Appendix C - FORM 5 - 2021 Candidate Information

(***Documents can also be found on the Provincial website: https://www.alberta.ca/municipal-election-forms.aspx

Guidelines for the Installation of Election Signs


Any questions related to the 2021 Election, can be directed to the County of Vermilion River appointed Returning Officer, Susan Aldrich, by phone at 780-808-5648 or email at election@county24.com.




To be eligible to vote in the 2021 Municipal Election you must be:

  • at least 18 years of age;
  • a Canadian citizen, and
  • a resident in Alberta for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding election day and the person's place of residence is located in the division on election day (Excerpt from Local Authority Election Act, Sec. 47)

In order to vote, you must produce one piece of identification for inspection.  Acceptable forms of I.D. are:

  • Government-issued I.D. which contains a photograph of the elector and their address  (preferred).  Passports are not accepted. OR:
  • Other document clearly stating the name and address or land location of the elector

Voter Identification Needs


RMA (Rural Municipalities of Alberta) Running for Municipal Office Page

Lots of resources, videos, information, campaign guides, etc.


AUMA Election Supports Hub (Alberta Urban Municipalities Association) What do candidates need to know, resources, videos, what to expect, etc.


Economic Development for Elected Officials. Video showing fundamentals fo economic developments and the elected official's role in the process.

Related Links