Animal Control

Dog Control

The County of Vermilion River Dog Control Bylaw was established to regulate and control dogs within the County. This bylaw is enforced by the contract Dog Control Officer and our Peace Officers.

INFO SHEET - Dog Control (click here)

Bylaw 19-07 Dog Control Bylaw

Bylaw 20-23 Dog Control Bylaw Amendment


Report a Dog Control Concern:

Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Contact Protective Services at 780-846-2244 or Report a Concern Online

After Hours:   6:00 am – 8:30 am & 4:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Monday to Friday

6:00 am – 8:00 pm, Weekends

Contact our Dog Control Contractor, Michael Niesen at or 587-937-5504.


***Closed Holidays***


County of Vermilion River dog owners who reside in hamlets and multi-lot subdivisions are required to obtain a dog license. Dogs licenses are available at a cost of $50.00. This is a one-time fee for the lifetime of your dog.


We do encourage all dog owners in the County to obtain a dog license. Having your dog licensed and keeping your information current provides a greater opportunity of your dog being returned to you if it wanders off.


To Obtain a License:

Due to COVID-19, our office is closed to the public. There are still a few ways you can obtain a Dog License.

1. First fill out the dog license form, you will need to print and sign it.


Dog License form


2. Mail the form and payment to our office. We will mail a dog license tag to you once payment is received.


3. Drop off the form and payment at our office. If you have the form and payment ready, we can send you home with a dog license tag. You can also leave both in our drop off box and a license will be mailed to you.


4. If you cannot fill out the Dog License form online, please contact us. We’ll be able to fill out most of your information over the phone. A signature is required so the form will need to be faxed or you’ll need to stop by the office to sign. Payment can be mailed or dropped off.




One of the top complaints we receive is regarding at large dogs. Dogs must remain on your property unless they are restrained or leashed by a person. Here are a few of the reasons why your dog needs to remain at home or under your care and control.


Disturbing Other People

Be a good neighbour, even if the closest one is miles away. An at-large dog can travel for miles and might wander onto someone else’s property. Your dog could dig up gardens, destroy property or frighten your neighbours and their pets. Regardless of how nice your dog might be, it is irresponsible to trouble your neighbours this way.


Injury to or From Other Animals

Dogs are predatory by nature. They may chase and attack wildlife, livestock, and other pets. On the flip side, an aggressive or defensive animal might injure or kill your dog.



Even the most isolated road has a car or truck pass by occasionally. Dogs that wander off your property onto the road run the risk of getting hit by vehicles or can cause an accident from someone trying to avoid hitting your pet.


Lost, Stolen or Picked Up

People may think your at-large dog is a stray and it may be taken to the vet or the SPCA. A person may keep the dog if they believe it doesn’t have an owner.


Our Dog Control Officer responds to concerns regarding at-large dogs. If your dog is not wearing proper identification or has been caught at-large multiple times, it will be brought to the SPCA.




Barking is natural for dogs when they are bored, lonely, or want to alert their owners of something. However, excessive barking is not only unfair to your dog, but it is also rude and annoying to neighbours.


Barking is a nuisance when the sound annoys or disturbs the peace of others. Excessive barking is when it is routine, occurs late at night, lasts longer than a few minutes or is in close proximity to other people.


While a dog owner may not be bothered by their dog’s bark, neighbours are affected in several ways. The sound of a barking dog can:


  • Create Stress
  • Disturb Sleep
  • Affect Concentration
  • Affect Moods & Relaxation
  • Interfere with Enjoyment of Personal Space


There are plenty of resources online if you are looking for ways to stop your dog from barking too much. Here’s a good one which identifies why your dog may bark and what you can do to stop it:


Need Our Help?

If excessive barking is a nuisance:


  • Let your neighbour know the barking disturbs you.
  • If that doesn’t work, contact us and register your concern.




There are several things you can do if you discover your dog is lost:


  • Ask your neighbours
  • Check local missing animal Facebook pages. Someone may advertise that they found a stray dog, or you can create a post for your lost dog.
  • Call us with a description of your dog, approximate time and place they went missing and your contact information. With your permission, we can also post information about your missing dog on our Facebook page. We’ll contact you if we receive any updates.
  • Check in with the SPCA or local vet clinics to see if your dog has been brought in.


Numbers to Call If Your Pet Is Lost

County of Vermilion River      780-846-3313

Lloydminster SPCA               780-875-2809

Vermilion Vet Clinic              780-853-5904

Dewberry Vet Clinic             780-847-4071


If You Find A Stray Dog


  • Check in with your neighbours. Someone may recognize the dog.
  • Check local missing animal Facebook pages. Someone may have posted that they are missing a dog or you could create a post.
  • Contact us to pick up the dog.
  • Transport the dog to the Lloydminster SPCA.




The County of Vermilion River does not have a cat bylaw and will not respond to complaints regarding stray or feral cats. However, we do encourage all cat owners to keep their cats indoors where they are safe. It can be dangerous for cats to roam freely and has the potential for conflict with your neighbours.


If you insist on letting your cat outside, please ensure they are spayed or neutered to keep the cat population under control.


If You Pick Up a Stray Cat

We do have an agreement with the Lloydminster SPCA which allows our ratepayers to bring stray cats found within the County to the SPCA. Please contact them at 780-875-2809 before bringing a stray in to ensure they have room available. The SPCA will not accept feral cats.


Unwanted Cats on Private Property

If you have an unwanted cat on your property, politely ask your neighbour to keep their cat on their own property. If you do not know who the owner is or if speaking with your neighbour does not solve the problem, you may want to make your property less inviting to the animal. There are a many tips and tricks available online to deter cats from entering your property.


Cats can also be humanely trapped and brought to the SPCA. However, you will have to provide food, water and shelter for the cat until it can be turned over to the SPCA. The cat must not be injured by the method you use to trap and transport it.


Feral Cats & Cat Colonies

If you are dealing with feral cats or a large cat population, please consider contacting an organization with a Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) Program. One organization is Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society (AARCS) which focuses on cases in rural Alberta. For more information please visit or email

Related Links