Responsible Pet Ownership

Dogs bring a community to life and are an important part of many families residing in the County of Vermilion River. The Dog Control Bylaw was put in place to regulate and control dogs within the County.
This bylaw is enforced by the contract Dog Control Officer employed by the County of Vermilion River.  Should you have issues with a dog at large, please reach out to the Enforcement Services at the County office 780-846-2244.  For after hours (4:30-8pm) and weekends, contact the Dog Control Officer at 780-872-9887.

INFO SHEET - Dog Control (click here)

For more pet information, click on the headings below.

Lost Dogs

What to do if you’ve lost your dog

There are several things to do if you discover your dog is lost:
  1. Your dog may not have wandered too far. If you live in a subdivision, hamlet or have neighbours close by look around the area and ask neighbours if they have seen your dog. Be sure to include the time and approximate place your dog went missing.
  2. Contact the County of Vermilion River and leave a description of your dog, approximate time and place your dog went missing and contact information. If we receive any information regarding your dog we can contact you right away.
  3. You can also contact the Lloydminster SPCA or the Vermilion Vet Clinic. If a dog is dropped off at the Vermilion Vet we will receive a call for our dog control officer to pick up the dog. Check with them to see if a lost dog has been dropped off that our Dog Control Officer has not picked up yet. Dogs picked up by the dog control officer are brought to the Lloydminster SPCA
  4. You can check Kijiji since a lot of people will advertise that they found a stray dog. You can also post an ad for your lost dog. If you have access to Facebook you can view local pages for found dogs or post on the page for your lost dog.
  5. Check to make sure that the contact information associated with your dog license is correct. If your dog is licensed and wearing tags we will be able to contact you if your pet is picked up by our dog control officer or admitted to the Lloydminster SPCA.
If you locate your pet at the SPCA, owners are generally responsible for paying shelter fees and may have to pay a fine for having an animal at large. Additional charges also apply for any veterinary treatment provided. If your dog did not have a dog tag you will have to apply and pay a fee for the tag before you can take your dog home.

If you find a stray dog

If you find a stray dog, there are several steps you can take to help return the animal to its owners:

  1. Contact Enforcement Services at 780-846-2244 during normal business hours 8:30 am - 4:30 pm for our Dog Control Officer to pick up the dog(s). After hours or on weekends, contact the Dog Control Officer at 780-872-6887. If you have ANY concern about a stray dog’s behaviour, this is the best action to take. Dogs picked up by our dog control officer will be brought to the Lloydminster SPCA
  2. Transport the animal to the Lloydminster SPCA or the Vermilion Vet Clinic. Dogs dropped off at the Vermilion Vet Clinic will be picked up by the County Dog Control Officer.

Note: the County does not pick up stray cats. Please transport stray cats to the Lloydminster SPCA.

Please note that if you would like to adopt a stray dog that was found in the County that it is not allowed to be adopted back into the County. If you reside in another municipality (i.e. Town of Vermilion, Village of Kitscoty or M.D. of Wainwright) you may be able to adopt the dog from the Lloydminster SPCA.

Keep your pet safe

We all want to be responsible pet owners and keep our dogs safe. There are steps you can take to help prevent your pet from getting lost and, if your pet does go missing, help ensure a safe return home.

  1. Pick up a license tag for your dog – this is a simple and easy way to ensure your pet’s information is on file.
  2. Have your pet implanted with a microchip and keep the contact information up-to-date.
  3. Spay and neuter your dog(s), as this will diminish their urge to roam and mate.
  4. If you take your pet outside, ensure it is properly leashed or in a secured area, like a fenced yard.

Numbers to call if your pet is lost:

County of Vermilion River Enforcement Services 780-846-2244
Lloydminster SPCA 780-875-2809
Vermilion Vet Clinic 780-853-5904
Dewberry Vet Clinic 780-847-4071
Town of Vermilion Municipal Enforcement Services 780-853-5358

Nuisance Dogs

Owning a Dog in the County

Dogs are a great addition to the County, but there are some obligations you have as a dog owner.

Responsible dog owners look after their pet’s health and wellness and also make sure their pet is a positive addition to the community.

There are a few obligations have as a pet owner to be considerate of your neighbours and protect your pet.


All dogs three months or older must have a valid dog license and tag so we can contact you if your dog gets lost. You can mail, fax or stop by the County office to obtain a license and tag for your dog. You can also visit the Lloydminster SPCA to obtain a license. Dogs brought to the Lloydminster SPCA will require a license before they can be returned to the owner or adopted into the County.

Click here for Dog License form or stop by the County office


Dogs are not allowed to be loose, unless they are on your property. Dogs must always be on a leash when on public property and should be contained in a secure yard or building when on your property.


Barking is natural for dogs when they are bored, lonely, or want to alert their owners of something, but excessive barking can disturb your neighbours.
Excessive barking can be addressed through dog training, socializing, exercising, and family interaction.


Pet waste can be smelly, unattractive and can even be a health issue for you and your pet. Carry a bag with you to pick up your pet’s poop whenever you are off your property. Poop can be collected in a plastic bag and thrown in the garbage.

You do not need to clean up waste immediately on your private property, but you still need to clean it up regularly. Allowing excessive waste to build up affects your neighbours and pet negatively.


There are wild animals in the County of Vermilion River that can injure or kill dogs. Closely supervising your pet and being aware of your surroundings are the best ways to keep them safe.


While spaying or neutering is not required in the County of Vermilion River, it is highly recommended.

“Fixing” your pet prevents the birth of unwanted animals, improves overall health, and reduces aggression in dogs.

Dog Licenses

Unwanted Cats on Private Property

What to do if you have an unwanted cat on your property. The County of Vermilion River does not have a Bylaw regarding cats. Cat owners are required to make sure their pet does not wander on to other people’s property without permission. Allowing your cat to freely roam is dangerous for them and can lead to conflict with your neighbours. A cat roaming on private property can be trapped and taken to the Lloydminster SPCA. They are safest at home.
Dealing with an unwanted cat on your property

If you have an unwanted cat on your property, politely ask your neighbour to keep their cat on their own property. If you do not know who the owner is or if speaking with your neighbour did not solve the problem, you may want to make your property less inviting to the animal.Another option is to humanely trap the cat and turn it over to the Lloydminster SPCA.Making your property less inviting to catsCats can be trained not to enter your yard by making your property unpleasant to them.
  • Placing mesh netting (angled outwards or PVC pipe at the top of your fence can prevent cats from climbing over
  • Bury chicken wire just below the surface of your flowerbeds to discourage digging and cover the bed with bark chips or gravel so it is rough
  • Spray the cat with water whenever it enters your yard
  • Spread repellants around your property, like vinegar or orange peels
Cat TrappingThe County of Vermilion River does not capture stray and at-large cats, but does lend humane traps to residents on a first come, first serve basis. There is no charge to use the trap. All cats can be brought to the Lloydminster SPCA during regular business hours.It is illegal to put an animal in distress, so you will need to check the trap frequently and will have to provide food, water and shelter for the trapped cat until it is turned over to the SPCA. The cat must not be injured by the method you use to trap and transport it.

Related Links