The County of Vermilion River does not have a cat bylaw and will not respond to complaints regarding stray or feral cats. However, we do encourage all cat owners to keep their cats indoors where they are safe. It can be dangerous for cats to roam freely and has the potential for conflict with your neighbours.


If you insist on letting your cat outside, please ensure they are spayed or neutered to keep the cat population under control.


If You Pick Up a Stray Cat

We do have an agreement with the Lloydminster SPCA which allows our ratepayers to bring stray cats found within the County to the SPCA. Please contact them at 780-875-2809 before bringing a stray in to ensure they have room available. The SPCA will not accept feral cats.


Unwanted Cats on Private Property

If you have an unwanted cat on your property, politely ask your neighbour to keep their cat on their own property. If you do not know who the owner is or if speaking with your neighbour does not solve the problem, you may want to make your property less inviting to the animal. There are a many tips and tricks available online to deter cats from entering your property.


Cats can also be humanely trapped and brought to the SPCA. However, you will have to provide food, water and shelter for the cat until it can be turned over to the SPCA. The cat must not be injured by the method you use to trap and transport it.


Feral Cats & Cat Colonies

If you are dealing with feral cats or a large cat population, please consider contacting an organization with a Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) Program. One organization is Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society (AARCS) which focuses on cases in rural Alberta. For more information please visit or email

Related Links