Wildfires are a natural hazard and there are approximately 8000 wildfires that occur each year in Canada. Naturally caused fires (lightening) represent 45% and human-caused fires represent 55% of all fires.
How to prepare:
- Remove fire hazards in and around your home such as leaves, branches and debris.
- Have an escape plan.
- Keep a good sprinkler in an accessible location.
If a fire is approaching:
- Report it immediately to 911.
- Close doors, windows, vents and other openings.
- Prepare yourself for evacuation if needed by having your vehicle packed and positioned with the keys in it ready to go.
- Move combustibles away from your house.
For more detailed information on wildfire preparedness click here
For more information on wildfires please click here.