“A pandemic is a worldwide outbreak of a specific disease which affects a large portion of the population.” (Public Health Agency of Canada)
Families can take the following steps to help them respond in a pandemic situation:
- Stockpiling essential supplies in the event that certain services are disrupted:
- Ready to eat canned meats
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Medications (cold, vitamins, pain relievers etc.)
- Hygiene products
- Batteries, garbage bags, candles etc.
- Ensure you have an adequate supply of your prescription medications – at least a month’s worth.
- Develop a plan to care for ill family members.
- Have an emergency health information sheet filled out in the event someone needs to go to the hospital – the sheet will provide all the necessary information for health practitioners.
For more detailed information on preparing for a pandemic visit the Public Health Agency of Canada website here